You’ve written your Chrome extension in ClojureScript, whether using Khroma or any other alternative. You have a background script, maybe some content script that gets run on pages, maybe some code for a management UI. Everything’s fine on development, but when you’re ready to release and want to apply some optimizations, everything gets bundled together into a single file. Not only you end up with a larger JS that gets loaded multiple times, but your initialization code starts tripping over each other.
I’m a tab-aholic
I normally do a search, start opening the tabs that seem interesting, and then as I flip through them, I end up opening even more links on tabs as they seem relevant. Next thing I know I have a huge mess of tabs, and it’s hard to remember which one I’ve read or which one is important.
Relevance is a Chrome plugin I wrote to help manage that.
Perhaps the trickiest thing when developing an open source library is figuring out the balance between changes you feel are necessary, and respecting early adopters.
Take the case of khroma, the ClojureScript library for providing idiomatic access to the Chrome extensions API. It’s very much a work in progress, and I’m developing it to use on an extension of my own. The way I go about it is exposing functions and event handlers mostly as I need them, to avoid getting sidetracked into surfacing functionality for which I don’t have a practical use case right away.
However, when developing something organically, the question then becomes: where do you draw the line between unifying the way the APIs behave after adding functionality, and not breaking things for those very early users?
A few weeks ago I wrote a short piece about the available tools for building Chrome extensions in ClojureScript.
Among the tools I reviewed was khroma, a still very much work-in-progress ClojureScript library providing idiomatic access for the Chrome API. One of original comments I had was that khroma was still incomplete, and had some not entirely evident function names.
I have since taken up khroma development and begun extending and refactoring it. However, a question immediately came up: how do we go about testing it? Your first impulse might be to say “why, don’t we have cljs.test?”.
Yes, we do, but we can’t run these tests automatically from the command line: the APIs are only available when you’re running inside Chrome as an extension with the right permissions.
Moreover, I’d like to be able to provide usage samples and data review for the myriad of events you can hook up to, some of which aren’t easily testable because they depend on user input, or asynchronous inter-page communication. How to go about this, then?
There’s not as much documentation on building a Chrome extension with ClojureScript, so I thought I’d document my findings on the current state of libraries.
Below are some tools that can help you with a more idiomatic way of doing things in Clojure.
Up until now whenever someone asked about our open source projects I referred them directly to my Github page. That’s the repository, sure, but might be a bit noisy as it contains a mix of the projects I’ve created and maintain, with repositories I’ve forked (some of which I contribute to, but not all), with older projects.
I decided it was time to clear things up a bit, so I’ve done a brief write up on those that I’m actively maintaining. It has a better introduction to each, including both their application and licensing details.
Head over to the open source page to read more, and let me know if you have any questions.